Monday, November 5, 2007

Realizations

Due to the nature of my topic and my passionate feelings concerning equality and women's issues, getting a grasp on my subject was very difficult for me. I began my posts inconclusively, as I wasn't really sure how I felt how the subject and didn't fully understand all of its dimensions. As I researched the general trends of women on death row I began to consider the different ways in which women would be treated in comparison with men. At this point I was pulled in two directions, fighting with the thought of encouraging more executions for women or encouraging unequal standards. Being a feminist, it was very difficult but necessary for me to side with the thought that women should be treated in the same manner and held to the same standards as men, even though that may mean that more women will be sentenced to die. This is a simplification of the issue, as ideas about gender and sexuality are more complex than any other subject that I have studied. I still feel that though I support women being treated in the same manner as men, I do feel that there are some circumstances that undoubtedly make women a little different, such as the issue of executing pregnant women or women who killed in reaction to sexual violence. Though I definitely feel like I will never quite be able to wrap my head around all of the intricate interactions that gender and sexuality have in every arena of society, I have concluded that we need to keep gender stereotypes out of the courtroom but consider each case on an individual level. Women who conform to ideas about femininity should not get a lighter sentence just because they are viewed as weak and the same goes for women who reject these stereotypes and behave more masculine. These are the types of things that need to stay out of the courtroom in order for trials to be just, fair, and equal.

4 comments:

hanghang said...

I admit that when I first heard your topic I expected it to be very hackneyed, but after reading your posts I was very impressed with all the different aspects of the issue you brought up. And true to your other blogs, even in your last post you made me think about another part of the issue: sentencing for pregnant women. It's easy to say that gender and sexuality should not play a role in whether a woman gets convicted of a crime or not, how do we condemn a pregnant woman? I agree with you that giving leniency to women only takes a big step backwards in the progress that feminism has acquired, but I believe the connotations people have placed on women for so long will take a lot longer to efface. I think you've done a great job with all your posts so far and what makes your blog interesting to me is that this issue is less of a problem with the justice system and more of a problem with society.

C. Ronaldo said...

I was really curious about your topic when you started and where you were going to go with the argument. I really like the points you made and the way you talked about your thought prgression. I agree with you on your points that you made on the issue and you really increased my interest in the topic. I hope that some of those prejudices can be removed from the court system and society. Thanks again for writing it was really good.

Yeo!!! said...

Hi.. it is truly clear that you really have a deep passion for gender roles and feminism. Thanks for highlighting the contradictions that are inherent in the feminist movement. I do agree that females should not be advantaged in court and I am glad that you have also pointed out that we need to explore gender biasness on a case to case basis because of the complex and multiple factors that vary from case to case. I really wish you all the best in your pursuit of gender equality and justice. Great jab here...

Madison said...

Your interest in this topic led me to be interested also because you are so passionate about it. I think that your thoughts and reasonings are very good and allow us to think through things differently. All of the topics you discussed were interesting and provoked curiosity in me. I do feel that you are right and that gender bias should be left at the court-room door, however I also think that these gender roles are socialized and it will be a very long and hard process.